Published On 07/31/2012
Because taking care of kids is what we do, we strive to be the best. That commitment to exceptional care is recognized by our peers and accreditation agencies. We are dedicated to quality improvement, research and teaching future pediatricians.
Recognition of Excellence
- U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospital recognizes Le Bonheur as one of the best children’s hospitals in the country. Our neuroscience, pulmonology, orthopedics, cardiology, gastroenterology, urology and nephrology programs are among the best for kids.
- We are a Magnet-designated facility, the ultimate recognition for quality nursing care by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Le Bonheur is among only 7 percent of hospitals in the country to have earned the distinction of Magnet status.
- Le Bonheur is designated as a Level 1 pediatric trauma center by the American College of Surgeons. We’re the only Level 1 pediatric trauma center in the region.
- Our pediatric pharmacy residency program is accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists. The Le Bonheur and The University of Tennessee Health Science Center program is one of the oldest pediatric pharmacy residency programs in the nation.
- Le Bonheur is home to a National Association of Epilepsy Centers Level IV Accredited Epilepsy comprehensive epilepsy program, one of only a few in the United States.
- Our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is the region’s only designated Level IV unit, which provides the highest level of care to critically ill newborns. Our pediatric and fetal echocardiography programs are accredited by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, a standard of excellence in the field.
- Our heart surgical outcomes are among the best in the country. In fact,our Heart Institute was one of only 10 programs to receive the highest possible three-star rating from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS).
- Le Bonheur is the only hospital in the region recognized as an ECMO Center of Excellence by the International Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO) for cardiopulmonary care.
- Le Bonheur and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital partner in the collaborative pediatric brain tumor programs, one of the largest in the nation.
- We work with the Institute for Safe Medication Practices to identify improvements in medication safety ensuring that we distribute 1 million doses of medication each year safely.
- We utilized Lean management techniques, pioneered in the auto industry, to streamline processes and improve efficiencies in the laboratory, surgical supply and Emergency Department.
- Many of our nurses and respiratory therapists participate in our clinical advancement program by conducting quality improvement projects and furthering their education.
- Le Bonheur is helping reduce the rate of hospital acquired conditions for all of our patients. In 2013, we achieved rates of zero for falls with harm, ventilator associated pneumonia, spinal surgical site infections and significantly reduced central line infections throughout the hospital
Commitment to our Community
- More than 300 of our staff are working throughout the region. Our community outreach program is one of the largest organized by children’s hospitals.
- Le Bonheur On the Move has two mobile medical units that travel to schools throughout underserved counties to care for children without a primary care physician. In 2015, with the help of the Urban Child Institute and the Children’s Health Fund, the mobile unit cared for 4,000 children.
- The Nurse Family Partnership program is addressing infant mortality and teen pregnancy in Memphis. The program served 211 new moms in 2015, through regular home visits and education by registered nurses.
- We lead the Early Success Coalition, a 65-organization partnership dedicated to the healthy development of young children in our community.
- Our Be Proud! Be Responsible! Memphis! is a teen pregnancy prevention program that collaborates with community centers, schools and churches.
- With a $2.9 million grant, we’re developing a better ways to treat pediatric asthma in Memphis. By creating an asthma registry, we ensure that kids receive care and education after they leave the hospital.
- Our Healthy Families America affiliate is accredited by Prevent Child Abuse America as a provider of high-quality home visitation services to families who want to improve their child’s health, nutrition and developmental outcomes.
- Our Safe Kids Mid-South program worked with nearly 25,000 adults and children in 2015 to teach safety and prevent accidental injuries to children.