The Fetal Center at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital is the only center of its kind in the area to offer a complete range of services from prenatal diagnosis to fetal intervention. A partnership among Le Bonheur, the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and Regional One Health, the Fetal Center treats babies diagnosed in utero with a congenital anomaly.
Why Le Bonheur?
- Families have access to all specialties in one setting, making your appointment as convenient as possible.
- We work with you to understand your baby’s condition and navigate the plans for prenatal care/intervention, delivery and birth. Our team partners with you and your primary obstetrician to determine the best course of treatment for before and after birth.
- Every Fetal Center case is discussed weekly among a group of pediatric experts. A course of treatment is planned by the entire Fetal Center team.
- We are the only center in the region to offer laser treatment for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome and have written the current guidelines on treating fetal anemia.
Our multidisciplinary team includes pediatric specialists in:
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Palliative Care
Our team also includes child life specialists, specially trained sonographers, lactation consultants, counselors and a program director.
Conditions we treat
Some of the common conditions treated in our center include:
- Congenital heart defects
- Down syndrome
- Spina bifida and neural tube defects
- Conjoined twins
- Twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome
- Fetal oral cyst
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Chorionic villus sampling
Fetal interventions and procedures
The Fetal Center offers the following fetal interventions:
- Amniopatch for latriogenic PPROM
- Amniotic Band Syndrome intervention
- Chorionic Villus Sampling
- EXIT procedures
- Fetal anemia treatment
- Laser for Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome
- Placement of shunts
- Radiofrequency ablasion
- Treatment for TRAP