Pediatricians are the cornerstone of a healthy family. At Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, we know how important it is for children to be treated by specialized doctors. We partner with general pediatricians across the region to offer comprehensive medical treatment for children. Pediatricians provide preventive care and treatment for acute illnesses, to ongoing treatment of chronic conditions. They have extensive clinical knowledge of children and their diseases and disorders.
Pediatricians work closely with our pediatric specialists at Le Bonheur to deliver the best child–and family–centered medical treatment in the region.
Why A Pediatrician Is The Best Person To Treat Your Child
Pediatricians have three additional years of training specifically with children, in addition to their medical training. They treat newborns, children and adolescents. Because pediatricians are the experts on children and their diseases, they are better able to spot irregularities in growth and development than other types of medical practitioners.
Factors To Consider When Choosing A Pediatrician
It’s important to choose a pediatrician who is the right fit for your family. The relationship you will develop with your pediatrician can span the childhoods of all children in your family, so it’s wise to ask questions in order to make an informed decision. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents ask the following questions of any potential pediatrician:
- Are you accepting new patients? Are you covered under my insurance plan?
- What are your office hours?
- Is emergency coverage available 24 hours a day, seven days a week?
- Are you available by phone or e–mail? If so, when?
- Do you have an after–hours answering service? Is that service linked to a children’s hospital?
- Where are patients referred after hours?
- Is there access to pediatric specialists, if needed?
- What hospital do you prefer to use?
- How does your office handle billing and insurance claims? Is payment due at the time of the visit?
- What is your practice’s overall orientation and philosophy about caring for special–needs children?
Make A Pediatrician Part Of Your Family
When you take your child in for regular office visits, your pediatrician will become a valuable resource for you and your child. Your family will gain the advantage of continuous care from birth through teenage years, one provider having knowledge of your child’s history and needs, and overall high quality of care. Children are much more than little adults. They function differently as they grow. When it comes to deciding where to take your child for treatment, pick the best option available. Choose a pediatrician for every appointment, every time.