Pediatric Stroke Center
The Pediatric Stroke Center at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital is the only program in the region providing comprehensive, coordinated and multidisciplinary care for pediatric stroke patients. Through the center -- housed within Le Bonheur’s nationally recognized Neuroscience Institute -- pediatric stroke patients have access to the most advanced diagnostic tools and treatments in the country.
Pediatric stroke – also known as a cerebral-vascular accident -- is among the top 10 causes of death in children, occurring in approximately 2.5-3.2 per 100,000 children annually. Early recognition of signs and symptoms and comprehensive follow-up care are key to achieving positive long-term outcomes.
We encourage families to prepare for a long visit. You are welcome to bring snacks, books or small toys if you’d like. Please bring a list of medications including dosage amount and any paperwork regarding guardianship if necessary. Many families find it helpful to prepare a list of questions for our physicians and staff.
Our Pediatric Stroke Center consists of two components:
1) Emergency (acute) management of pediatric stroke
Patients have access to a Le Bonheur neurologist 24/7 for the assessment of pediatric stroke, via the Le Bonheur Emergency Department.
2) Long-term care in the multidisciplinary Pediatric Stroke Clinic
Our comprehensive clinic provides coordinated follow-up care with multiple specialists for pediatric stroke patients. The goal is to help patients achieve the best possible long-term outcomes. Specialists in the clinic include:
- Pediatric stroke nurse practitioner
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Social work
- Family liaison
We treat any type of acute pediatric stroke, including:
- arterial ischemic stroke
- cerebral sino-venous thrombosis
- hemorrhagic stroke
Our Pediatric Stroke Center provides the most advanced care for pediatric stroke available in the country. Treatment options include:
- Medication, including anti-platelet agents aspirin, anticoagulants like Lovenox ® and IV tissue plasminogen activator (TPA)
- Surgery, including intra-arterial TPA and bypass surgery
The Pediatric Stroke Center also offers the most advanced diagnostic technology, including:
- CT, with or without contrast
- CT angiogram
- MRI (1.5 and 3 Tesla) with and without contrast, fMRI, MR angiogram, MR spectroscopy and MR venogram
- Four-vessel angiogram