The Pediatric Obesity program seeks to prevent and treat childhood obesity through personalized care and family-based promotion of a healthier lifestyle because one size does not fit all.
Our program is comprised of three components, including:
Treating pediatric obesity
Our multidisciplinary Healthy Lifestyle Clinic helps children and adolescents manage their weight. After a comprehensive evaluation on the child’s first visit, we develop a personalized health plan aimed at reducing health complications and improving body composition and fitness. Children in our program follow-up regularly in clinic to monitor progress and receive individualized attention.
Our clinic team includes:
- Nurse practitioner and Nurses
- Registered dietitians
- Fitness specialists
- Behavioral health coaches
Learning about contributors of obesity and effective treatments
We are studying the causes of obesity and researching new prevention and treatment strategies. Our goal is to achieve precision medicine through tailored treatment based on genetic and environmental factors.
Creating partnerships for a healthier community
Our program’s reach extends out into the community. We are currently establishing partnerships with schools, parks and recreation facilities, community centers and local government to develop evidence-based, scalable, and sustainable wellness programs.
The future of our program
The Pediatric Obesity Program launched in 2014. Plans are underway to expand the program’s offerings. Future plans include:
Healthy Lifestyle Clinic
- Expanding group exercise programs for children of all ages and abilities
- Developing specialized treatments for patients with genetic disorders and specific obesity complications
- Offering a medically supervised meal replacement program and bariatric surgery to adolescents and young adults with severe obesity and obesity-related health complications
- Behavioral health groups for children and adolescents to address and support lifestyle changes and to treat binge eating disorder
Discovery and Innovation
- Testing new obesity drug therapies in model organisms
- Understand the fundamental biological mechanisms underlying weight gain and loss
- Identifying novel treatments that target specific genetic and environmental risk factors for obesity
- Investigating barriers to achieving a healthier lifestyle throughout the Mid-South
Healthy Lifestyle Network
- Establishing a Primary Care Network to extend the reach of the Healthy Lifestyle Clinic's patient care and services throughout the region
- Developing educational materials to coordinate with the healthy lifestyle messages and concepts presented through our network
- Expanding Pediatric Obesity Program community interventions consistently throughout the Mid-South