Healthy Lifestyle Network
The Pediatric Obesity Program extends its collaboration into the community. We have established partnerships with schools, parks and recreation facilities, community centers and local government to develop evidence-based, scalable and sustainable wellness programs. Our current partners include the YMCA of Memphis & the Mid-South, Common Table Health Alliance, Tennessee Coordinated School Health, Shelby County Health Department, Governor’s Foundation and Memphis FitKids. Our outreach includes providing access to obesity treatment, communitybased interventions and educational workshops for healthcare providers.
Primary Care Network
l We extend the services of the interdisciplinary Healthy Lifestyle Clinic to physician offices throughout the greater Memphis area. Our dietitians, fitness specialists, and behavioral modification coaches will work with
primary care providers to offer tailored obesity treatment within their practices. Educational resources will be provided to the primary physicians to complement their current obesity management. Our network will facilitate referrals to specialists for patients with medical complications of obesity.
We bridge the gap between health professionals, schools and community organizations to promote and sustain a healthier lifestyle among Mid-South families.
- Addressing important public health issues of childhood inactivity and sedentary habits
- Improving fitness, mental well-being and metabolic outcomes
- Using hands-on nutrition, fitness and motivational sessions to promote a healthier lifestyle
Insulin Superheroes Club
- Implementing a culturally-tailored, comprehensive, family-based diabetes prevention program for youth to supplement the YMCA/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s adult program
- Using bilingual (English and Spanish) curricula, hands-on-learning and family activities throughout a 12-month intervention to prevent diabetes
Education and Training for Professional Development
We provide educational opportunities for health professionals related to obesity prevention and treatment. Clinical rotations, didactic lectures and research opportunities are available within laboratory, clinical and community settings of the Pediatric Obesity Program.
- Offering the Primary Care Network obesity treatment services to practices affiliated with UT Le Bonheur Pediatric Specialists and ultimately throughout the Mid-South
- Expanding community-based obesity prevention and treatment programs consistently across the region
- Implementing the Exercise is Medicine® initiative, culinary medicine curricula, American Board of Obesity Medicine fellowships and regional conferences for health professionals