Injury and illness can be devastating to children, interrupting their physical, educational, emotional and social development. Some children are also born with conditions affecting their physical, mental and social well-being. Rehabilitation helps children learn to lead more independent lives.
Le Bonheur’s Rehabilitation therapists take a team approach when caring for our patients. We partner with families and patients to develop a plan of care that maximizes the patient’s functional independence.
We offer these services:
- Physical therapy focusing on achieving or returning the child to the highest level of motor functioning possible.
- Occupational therapy focusing on physical, cognitive and perceptual disabilities that influence the child's ability to perform functional tasks.
- Speech-language pathology focusing on the patient's feeding skills, motor-speech skills and receptive and expressive language skills.
- Feeding and swallowing therapy services help children become comfortable with eating.
- Early intervention therapy services are provided in home and child care settings through Le Bonheur Early Intervention and Development.
- Audiology services focus on the prevention, identification, assessment and non-medical treatment of disorders of the hearing and balance system.
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Gastronomy Tube (G-Tube)
- Newborn Orthopedic or Clubfoot
- Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Spina Bifida
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Pelvic Floor Rehab Pulmonary Rehab
Rehabilitation services are available in the hospital and at our outpatient facilities in downtown Memphis and in Germantown. In the hospital, our therapists work with the medical team. We often assist patients in the neuroscience, orthopedic, neonatology, cardiac, gastrointestinal and infant care areas.
- Outpatient physical therapy and occupational therapy require a referral from the primary care physician or pediatrician.
- Outpatient speech services require a referral from the primary care physician or pediatrician. It also requires a hearing screening within the past six months to eliminate a hearing disorder as a contributing factor. The hearing screen requires a separate physician referral and can be scheduled the same day as the speech evaluation.
Services for children with special needs
There are many resources at Le Bonheur and in the community for children with special needs. We have compiled a list of resources.
For additional questions regarding therapy services, the referral process or insurance, please call 901-287-4300.