School is almost out and for most kids the summer will be full of outdoor activities. Hikes, camping trips and simple outdoor play will be at the top of many lists. To avoid contact and a reaction from poison ivy, parents should teach their kids what it looks like and also what it does. We talked to Dr. Christie Michael, an allergist at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital to learn more. Here's what she had to say:

"Not everyone reacts to poison ivy. However, just because a reaction didn't occur in the past doesn't mean it won't in the future. Prevention is best so kids should learn what the leaves look like. If your child is exposed, bathe him or her immediately and add 3/4 cup of bleach to a tub of bath water. Once lesions develop, use topical benadryl or steroid cream such as cortisone. Avoid scratching but if itching is severe, an oral antihistamine can be given. For bad reactions, visit your pediatrician who might prescribe a short course of oral steroids."