Here are some tips from Safe Kids Mid-South, led by Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, to shop safe this holiday season:
- Consider the child's age, interest and skill level. A fun, but inappropriate toy for a particular child can be dangerous.
- Keep toys with small parts away from children under age 3. They can choke on small toys and toy parts.
- Shopping at a second hand shop this holiday season? Check recalls.gov to make sure kids' products and toys are safe and haven't been recalled.
- Bikes or scooters make great holiday gifts. But remember that a helmet is a necessity, not an accessory when it comes to all wheeled sports for children of all ages.
- Consider alternatives to putting children in shopping carts including strollers and carts that have plastic mini-cars or trucks attached to the front or back. If you must use a cart, make sure your child stays seated and is secured by a seat belt.