This month Safe Kids Mid-South is partnering with FedEx to celebrate International Walk to School Day. The Walk this Way campaign has contributed to a 32 percent decrease in child pedestrian fatalities in the United States in the last 13 years.
The goal of the program is to educate children and parents about ways to be safe when traveling by foot. Here are five tips from Safe Kids Worldwide.
- Look left, then look right, then left again when you cross the street.
- Cross the street at the corner or at a crosswalk and obey all traffic signals.
- Cross the street with an adult until you are at least 10 years old.
- Walk on the sidewalk or paths, not in the street.
- Play in safe places, away from streets, driveways and parking lots.