Opportunities for Fellows
Published On 08/29/2013
Pediatric Orthopaedics fellows will receive comprehensive training in all aspects of pediatric orthopaedics including clinical, hospital-based, surgical, teaching and research opportunities.
- See patients with pediatric orthopaedic staff as assigned
- Work-up new patients: obtaining history and physical examination data, ordering appropriate x-rays, and discussing management with the attending staff physician
- Perform all procedures as directed
- Complete preoperative history and physical examination and ensure appropriate preoperative x-rays are available
- Make daily rounds on all in-patients
- Make postoperative check on all patients before discharge
- See all consults on inpatients and evaluate condition, collect lab data, order appropriate x-rays, scans, and relevant consults
- Discuss patient with attending staff physician
- Serve as first assistant to staff, primary surgeon as directed
- Oversee postoperative orders and brief operative notes
- Dictate all operative notes as directed
- Pediatric Conference: Weekly attendance is mandatory
- Core Curriculum Conference: attend as duties allow and fellow desires
- Journal Club: Attendance is mandatory as assigned; otherwise, strongly encouraged
- Assist residents in surgery when requested and available
- Time and facilities are available for clinical and basic science research projects. Research coordinator, manuscript preparation and statistical support is available to assist in this research through the Children's Foundation Research Institute's Biomedial Informatics and Biostatistics team.
- Fellow is required to work on at least one research project during the fellowship year. It is expected that this research will result in a presentation, a publication, or both. Learn more about our published research and research published by our past fellows.