Stephania Cormier, PhD
Associate Professor, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Education: PhD, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Louisiana State University Medical Center
Areas of Interests: Neonatal respiratory immunology, respiratory tract viral infections, inhalation exposures and host defense, genome-environment interactions in airways disease
- NIAID - R01 AI090059-03 2011-2015
The Role of IL4R alpha in Neonatal RSV Immunopathology
Grant Period: 5 years
Award: $ 1,754,867
- NIEHS - P42ES013648-05 2011-2016
Environmentally Persistent Free Radicals Alter Pulmonary Immunologic Homeostasis
Role: Co-Director (2012-2016), project Leader
Grant Period: 5 years
Award: $ 1,357,036
PI: Barry Dellinger; Co-PI: Stephania Cormier
Total Award: $ 13,969,825
- NIEHS - RO1 ES015050-07 2006-2017
RFA: Outstanding New Environmental Scientist Award (ONES)
Combustion-Generated Particulate Pollution Affects Infant Respiratory Health
Grant Period: 5 years
- NIH-OD Director’s Transformative Award - R01 AI112402-01 2013-2018
Metabolic Approaches to Treat Severe Viral Diseases
Grant Period: 5 years (Cormier's support 2015-2018)
Initial Year: $507,085
- Birke L, Cormier SA, You D, Stout RW, Clement C, Johnson M, and Thompson H. 2013. Hepatitis E Antibodies Detected in Laboratory Rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) from Two US Vendors. Emerging Infectious Diseases. (e-pub).
- Lomnicki S, Gullett B, Stöger T, Kennedy I, Diaz J, Dugas TR, Varner K, Carlin D, Dellinger B, and Cormier SA. 2014. Combustion By-Products and their Health Effects - Combustion Engineering and Global Health in the 21st Century: Issues and Challenges. International Journal of Toxicology. 33:3-13.
- Kelley M, Hebert V, Thibeaux T, Orchard M, Hasan F, Cormier S, Thevenot P, Lomnicki S, Varner K, Dellinger B, and Dugas T. 2013. Model combustion-generated particulate matter containing persistent free radicals redox cycle to produce reactive oxygen species. Chemical Research in Toxicology. 26:1862-71.
- Saravia J, You D, Thevenot P, Lee GI, Shrestha B, Lomnicki S, and Cormier SA. 2013. Early-life exposure to combustion-derived particulate matter causes pulmonary immunosuppression. Mucosal Immunology. (e-pub). Featured on MDLinx.com
- Wang P, You D, Saravia J, Shen H, and Cormier SA. 2013. Maternal exposure to combustion generated PM inhibits pulmonary Th1 maturation and concomitantly enhances postnatal asthma development in offspring. Particle and Fibre Toxicology. 10:29. Highly Accessed.
- Thevenot PT, Saravia JS, Giamo J, Happel KL, Dugas TR, and Cormier SA. 2013. Chronic alcohol induces M2 polarization enhancing pulmonary disease caused by exposure to particulate air pollution. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 37:1910-1919. Featured in Public Interest Highlights in ACER. Superfund Research Program e-Notes: Hot Publication.
- You D, Marr N, Saravia JS, Shrestha B, Lee G, Turvey SE, Brombacher F, Herbert D, and Cormier SA. 2013. IL-4Rα on CD4+ T cells plays a pathogenic role in neonatal respiratory syncytial virus infection. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 93:933-942. Highlighted in Cord Blood News 5.13. JLB: most accessed papers in the last six months since publication.
- Saravia JS, Lee GI, Lomnicki SL, Dellinger B, and Cormier SA. 2013. Particulate matter containing environmentally persistent free radicals and adverse infant respiratory health effects: A Review. Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology. 27:56-68.
- Thevenot PT, Saravia JS, Jin N, Giaimo JD, Chustz RE, Mahne S, Kelley MA, Hebert VY, Dellinger B, Dugas TR, DeMayo FJ, and Cormier SA. 2013. Radical-containing PM0.2 initiates epithelial-to-mesenchymal transitions in airway epithelial Cells. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology. 48:188-97.
- Wang P, Thevenot P, Saravia J, Ahlert T, and Cormier, SA. 2011. Radical containing particles activate DCs and enhance Th17 inflammation in a mouse model of asthma. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology. 45:977-83. Featured in ATS News: What’s New In AJRCMB.
- Lord K, Moll D, Lindsey JK, Mahne S, Raman G, Dugas T, Cormier S, Troxlair D, Lomnicki S, Dellinger B, and Varner K. 2011. Environmentally persistent free radicals decrease cardiac function before and after ischemia/reperfusion injury in vivo. Journal of Receptor and Signal Transduction Research 31:157-67.
- Balakrishna S, Saravia J, Thevenot P, Ahlert T, Lominiki S, Dellinger B, and Cormier SA. 2011. Environmentally persistent free radicals induce airway hyperresponsiveness in neonatal rat lungs. Particle Fibre and Toxicology. 8:11.
- Ripple M, You D, Honnegowda S, Giaimo J, Sewell A, Becnel DM, and Cormier SA. Immunomodulation with IL-4Rα antisense oligonucleotide prevents respiratory syncytial virus-mediated pulmonary disease. Journal of Immunology. 2010;185: 4804-4811. Faculty of 1000 Biology Recommended. Featured on MDLinx and Targeted Intelligence Report.
- Walsh M, Cormier S, Varner K, and Dellinger B. 2010. By-products of thermal treatment of hazardous waste—Formation and Health Effects. EM. April:26-30.
- Fahmy B, Ding L, You D, Lomnicki S, Dellinger B, and Cormier SA. 2010. In vitro and in vivo assessment of pulmonary risk associated with exposure to combustion generated fine particles. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology. 29:173–182
- Cormier SA, You D, Honnegowda S. 2010. The use of a neonatal mouse model to study respiratory syncytial virus infections. Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy. 2010 8:1371-80.
- Fahmy B, Cormier SA. 2009. Copper oxide nanoparticles induce oxidative stress and cytotoxicity in airway epithelial cells. Toxicology In Vitro. 23:1365-71.
- Wang X, Xu W, Kong X, Chen D, Hellermann G, Ahlert TA, Giaimo JD, Cormier SA, Li X, Lockey RF, Mohapatra S, Mohapatra SS. 2009. Modulation of lung inflammation by vessel dilator in a mouse model of allergic asthma. Respiratory Research. 2009;10:66.
- Balakrishna S, Lomnicki S, McAvey KM, Cole RB, Dellinger B, and Cormier SA. 2009. Environmentally persistent free radicals amplify ultrafine particle mediated cellular oxidative stress and cytotoxicity. Particle Fibre and Toxicology. 6: 11.
- You D, Ripple M, Balakrishna S, Troxclair D, Sandquist D, Ding L, Ahlert TA, and Cormier SA. 2008. Inchoate CD8+ T cell responses in neonatal mice permit influenza induced persistent pulmonary dysfunction. The Journal of Immunology.181: 3486-3494.
- Naura AS, Hans CP, Zerfaoui M, You D, Cormier SA, Oumouna M, and Boulares AH. 2008. Post-allergen challenge inhibition of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase harbors therapeutic potential for treatment of allergic airway inflammation. Clinical & Experimental Allergy 38:839-846.
- Wang K, You D, Balakrishna S, Ripple M, Ahlert T, Fahmy B, Becnel D, Daly M, Subra W, McElduff JS, Lomax LG, Troxclair D, and Cormier SA. 2008. Sediment from Hurricane Katrina: Potential to produce pulmonary dysfunction in mice. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine 1:130-144.
- You D, Becnel D, Wang K, Ripple M, Daly M, and Cormier SA. 2006. Exposure of Neonates to Respiratory Syncytial Virus is Critical in Determining Subsequent Airway Response in Adults. Respiratory Research. 7:107. Highly Accessed.
- Cormier SA, Taranova AG, Bedient C, Nguyen T, Protheroe P, Pero R, Dimina D, Lenkiewicz E, Ochkur SI, O'Neill K, Colbert D, Lombari TR, McGarry MP, Lee JJ, and Lee NA. 2006. Eosinophil infiltration of solid tumors is an early host response that potentially modulates cancer growth. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 79: 1131-1139. Faculty of 1000 Biology Recommended.
- Cormier SA, Lomnicki S, Backes W, and Dellinger B. 2006. Origin and health impacts of emissions of toxic by-products and fine particles from combustion and thermal treatment of hazardous wastes and materials. Environmental Health Perspectives. 114:810-817.
- Becnel D,You D,Erskin J,Dimina DM, and Cormier SA. 2005. A role for airway remodeling during respiratory syncytial virus infection. Respiratory Research 6:122. Highly Accessed.
- Lee JJ, Dimina DD, Macias MP, Ochkur SI, McGarry MP, O’Neill KR, Protheroe C, Pero R, Nguyen T, Cormier SA, Lenkiewicz E, Colbert D, Rinaldi L, Ackerman SJ, Irvin CG, and Lee NA. 2004. Mice congenitally deficient of eosinophils define a link with asthma. Science. 305:1773-1776. Faculty of 1000 Biology Must Read.
- Hao M, Cormier S, Wang M, Lee JJ, and Nel A. 2003. Diesel exhaust particles exert acute effects on airway inflammation and function in murine allergen provocation models. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 1125:905-914.
- Borchers MT, Biechele T, Justice P, Ansay T, Cormier S, Mancino V, Wilkie TM, Simon MI, Lee NA and Lee JJ. 2003. Methacholine-induced airway hyperresponsiveness is dependent on Gaq signaling. American Journal of Physiology – LCMP. 285:L114-L120.
- Shen H, Ochkur SI, McGarry MP, Crosby JR, Hines E M, Borchers MT, Wang H, Biechele TL, O'Neill KR, Ansay TL, Colbert DC, Cormier SA, Justice JP, Lee JJ, and Lee NA. 2003. A causative relationship exists between eosinophils and the development of allergic pulmonary pathologies in the mouse. Journal of Immunology. 170:3296-3305. Faculty of 1000 Biology Recommended.
- Cormier SA, Mello MA, and Kappen C. 2003. Normal proliferation and differentiation of Hoxc-8 transgenic chondrocytes in vitro. BMC Dev Biol 3(1):4.
- Cormier S, Yuan S, Crosby J, Dimina D, Protheroe C, Lee NA, and Lee JJ. 2002. TH2-mediated pulmonary inflammation leads to the differential expression of ribonuclease genes by alveolar macrophages. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology. 27: 678-687.
- Denzler KL, Borchers MT, Crosby JR, Cieslewicz G, Hines EM, Justice JP, Cormier SA, Lindenberger KA, Song W, Wu W, Hazen SL, Gleich GJ, Lee JJ, Lee NA. 2001. Extensive eosinophil degranulation and peroxidase-mediated oxidation of airway proteins do not occur in a mouse ovalbumin-challenge model of pulmonary inflammation. The Journal of Immunology. 167:1672-1682.
- Cormier S, Larson KA, Yuan S, Mitchell TL, Lindenberger K, Carrigan P, Lee NA, and Lee JJ. 2001. Mouse eosinophil associated ribonucleases: a unique subfamily expressed during hematopoesis. Mammalian Genome. 12:352-361.
- Denzler KL, Farmer SC, Crosby JR, Borchers M, Cieslewicz G, Larson KA, Cormier-Regard S, Lee NA, and Lee JJ. 2000. Eosinophil Major Basic Protein-1 (mMBP-1) does not contribute to allergen-induced airway pathologies in mouse models of asthma. The Journal of Immunology. 165:5509-17.
- Cormier-Regard S, Nguyen SV, and Claycomb WC. 1998. Adrenomedullin gene expression is developmentally regulated and induced by hypoxia in rat ventricular cardiac myocytes. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 273: 17787-17792.
- Cormier-Regard S, Egeland DB, Tannoch VJ, and Claycomb WC. 1997. Differential display: identifying genes involved in cardiomyocyte proliferation. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 172: 111-120.
- Cormier, SA and Kolls, JK. 2011. Innate IL-13 in viral-induced asthma? Nature Immunology. 12:587-8. [Non-peer-reviewed]