Make TV Safety a Part of Your Super Bowl Pre-gamePosted: February 05, 2021
Safe Kids Mid-South, led by Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, reminds families to secure televisions and heavy furniture. Protecting children from the potential risk of TV and furniture tip-overs is another important part of keeping them safe. Here are some tips:
- Mount flat screen TVs to the wall. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure you protect your wall and have a secure fit.
- If you have a heavier, box-style cathode ray tube (CRT) TV place it on a low, stable piece of furniture that can hold the TV's size and weight.
Recycle Old TVs
- To find a location near your home that safely and responsibly recycles your unwanted TVs, go to GreenerGadgets.org.
- Use anti-tip brackets, braces or wall straps to secure furniture to the wall.
- Install stops on dresser drawers to keep them from being pulled all the way out. Multiple open drawers can cause the weight to shift, making it easier for a dresser to tip over.
Rearrange Household Items
- Keep heavier items on lower shelves and in lower drawers.
- Avoid placing remote controls, food, toys or other items in places where kids might be tempted to climb up or reach for them.