Safety at home during the coronavirus pandemicPosted: April 15, 2020
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we all need to do everything we can to keep our families safe. Aside from following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) health hygiene guidelines to protect your family from the novel coronavirus, it is also important to protect children from other possible dangers in the home, car and during play.
Following the tips below provided by Safe Kids Worldwide will help keep your children and others safe while we are all dealing with this new and difficult time.
SAFETY TIPS FOR THE HOME:
- Store household cleaning products safely to prevent poisoning and save the Poison Help number in your phone: 1-800-222-1222.
- Keep all medicine out of children’s reach and sight, even medicine and vitamins you take every day.
- Make sure young children are within arm’s reach of an adult during bath time and watch kids of all ages when they are swimming in backyard pools.
- Keep hot foods and beverages away from the edge of counters and tables.
- Separate toys by age and keep small game pieces away from young children.
- Create a safe place for kids to play by installing safety gates on stairs and guards on windows to prevent falls, keeping small objects and cords to window blinds out of reach and securing top-heavy furniture and TVs.
SAFETY TIPS FOR THE CAR:
- Walk all the way around your parked car to check for children.
- Prevent heatstroke by never leaving a young child alone in a car.
- Slow down and avoid distractions when driving, especially in neighborhoods.
- Keep car doors and trunks locked and keep key fobs out of reach.
SAFETY TIPS FOR OUTSIDE PLAY (WHILE SOCIAL DISTANCING):
- Look left, right and left again before crossing the street.
- When crossing a street, make eye contact with drivers.
- Put phones and headphones down when crossing the street.
- Wear a properly-ﬁtted helmet when biking, skateboarding, riding a scooter or in-line skating.