Promoting child development and responsible parenting, Healthy Families serves mothers who are pregnant or have a child (two weeks or younger) in the Shelby County area. Accredited by Healthy Families America- National offices, the program is made possible through grants from the Tennessee Department of Health and the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services. Our services are free.
Goals of the program include:
- offering community resources and support for parents
- cultivating nurturing, responsive parent-child relationships
- promoting healthy childhood growth and development
- building the foundations for stronger family functioning
Our trained Community Health Educators visit moms regularly to insure they receive proper prenatal care, know child development and age-appropriate behaviors and attend well-child checkups.
Our trained Nurse home visitors administer vital sign assessments, developmental screenings, encourage/assist with follow-up visits with your primary care provider, and serve as liaison to hospital and outpatients clinicians.
Results of this program include:
- reduced child maltreatment
- improved school readiness
- increased utilization of prenatal care
- decreased rate of pre-term and/or low-birth-weight babies
- decreased dependency on welfare and other governmental support programs
For more information, please call Michelle Rumph at 901-287-4759.