The Pediatric Stroke Center at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital is the only program in the region providing comprehensive, coordinated and multidisciplinary care for pediatric stroke patients. Through the center -- housed within Le Bonheur’s nationally recognized Neuroscience Institute -- pediatric stroke patients have access to the most advanced diagnostic tools and treatments in the country.
Pediatric stroke – also known as a cerebral-vascular accident -- is among the top 10 causes of death in children, occurring in approximately 2.5-3.2 per 100,000 children annually. Early recognition of signs and symptoms and comprehensive follow-up care are key to achieving positive long-term outcomes.
We encourage families to prepare for a long visit. You are welcome to bring snacks, books or small toys if you’d like. Please bring a list of medications including dosage amount and any paperwork regarding guardianship if necessary. Many families find it helpful to prepare a list of questions for our physicians and staff.
Our Pediatric Stroke Center consists of two components:
1) Emergency (acute) management of pediatric stroke
Patients have access to a Le Bonheur neurologist 24/7 for the assessment of pediatric stroke, via the Le Bonheur Emergency Department.
2) Long-term care in the multidisciplinary Pediatric Stroke Clinic
Our comprehensive clinic provides coordinated follow-up care with multiple specialists for pediatric stroke patients. The goal is to help patients achieve the best possible long-term outcomes. Specialists in the clinic include:
- Pediatric stroke nurse practitioner
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Social work
- Family liaison
We treat any type of acute pediatric stroke, including:
- arterial ischemic stroke
- cerebral sino-venous thrombosis
- hemorrhagic stroke
Our Pediatric Stroke Center provides the most advanced care for pediatric stroke available in the country. Treatment options include:
- Medication, including anti-platelet agents aspirin, anticoagulants like Lovenox ® and IV tissue plasminogen activator (TPA)
- Surgery, including intra-arterial TPA and bypass surgery
The Pediatric Stroke Center also offers the most advanced diagnostic technology, including:
- CT, with or without contrast
- CT angiogram
- MRI (1.5 and 3 Tesla) with and without contrast, fMRI, MR angiogram, MR spectroscopy and MR venogram
- Four-vessel angiogram