Program Staff: Hospital Medicine
Associate Program Director
The hospital medicine fellowship program is a two-year fellowship. The goal of our program is to train fellows to be expert clinicians in the care of hospitalized children and effective leaders in education, research and quality improvement. During their clinical experiences, fellows manage diverse patient presentations with clinical curriculum focusing on the medically complex patient.
Fellows will enhance their teaching skills with medical students, pediatric residents and meds-peds residents. In addition to clinical experiences at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital, fellows will have clinical rotations at Regional One Health for NICU and newborn care and at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. The clinical curriculum also includes rotations in palliative care and the intermediate care unit to gain experience caring for medcially complex and technology-dependent patients. All of our fellows will complete a mentored research project in their area of interest to contribute to the field of pediatric medicine.
- Clinical research: predicting clinical escalation in croup (current fellow project); bronchopulmonary dysplasia exacerbation treatment: a randomized-controlled trial; antibiotic therapy in neck infections
- Health services research: burden of serious bacterial infections in young febrile infants; measuring variation in care between hospitals
- Quality improvement: reducing admissions and CT scans in simple febrile seizures; standardization of high-flow nasal cannula initiation and weaning in bronchiolitis; improving the diagnosis and treatment of dysphagia
- Medical education: illness scripts as tool for clinical reasoning; nigh shift curriculum; interactive teaching to promote medical student core pediatric knowledge
- Advocacy: Mid-South Medical-Legal Partnership; resident experience with adverse childhood events and social determinants of health