The hospital medicine fellowship program is a two-year fellowship. July 2019 marked the first year of our fellowship program, and we have received initial accreditation from the ACGME in April 2020. The goal of our program is to train fellows to be expert clinicians in the care of hospitalized children and effective leaders in education, research and quality improvement.
During their clinical experiences, fellows manage diverse patient presentations with clinical curriculum focusing on the medically-complex patient. Fellows will enhance their teaching skills with medical students, pediatric residents and med-peds residents. In addition to clinical experiences at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, fellows will have clinical rotations at Regional One Health for NICU and newborn care and at St Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
The clinical curriculum also includes rotations in palliative care and the intermediate care unit to gain experience caring for medically-complex and technology-dependent patients. All of our fellows will complete a mentored research project in their area of interest to contribute to the field of pediatric hospital medicine.
- Clinical Research: Predicting Clinical Escalation in Croup (Former Fellow Project); Antibiotic Therapy in Neck Infections
- Health Services Research: Burden of Serious Bacterial Infections in Young Febrile Infants; Measuring Variation in Care Between Hospitals; Inpatient Recognition of Obesity in Pediatric Population (Fellow Project)
- Quality Improvement: Standardization of High-Flow Nasal Cannula Initiation and Weaning in Bronchiolitis; Improving the Diagnosis and Treatment of Dysphagia; Better Antibiotic Selection in Children (BASIC); Improving Recognition and Management of Obesity in Pediatric Population
- Medical Education: Illness Scripts as Tool for Clinical Reasoning; Night Shift Curriculum; Interactive Teaching to Promote Medical Student Core Pediatric Knowledge
- Advocacy: Mid-South Medical-Legal Partnership; Resident Experience with Adverse Childhood Events and Social Determinants of Health
Program Staff: Hospital Medicine
Associate Program Director