The anesthesiology team at Le Bonheur helps children and their families prepare for surgery, as well as monitor and care for children during surgery. Our physicians sedate children and monitor their heart, lung and brain function and blood circulation while under anesthesia. We know children are not small adults, and anesthesia affects them differently. That’s why our physicians have additional training in caring for children.
Specially trained to care to kids
- Le Bonheur is the only hospital in the region with board-certified experts in pediatric anesthesiology.
- Our pediatric anesthesiologists have extensive training including a extra fellowship dedicated to pediatric anesthesiology: four years of medical school, one year of internship and three years of residency in anesthesiology.
- Pediatric anesthesiologists care for children of all ages from newborns to teenagers and are experienced in the special needs of children and their families.
- Pediatric anesthesiologists know how to examine and treat children in a way that makes them relaxed and cooperative.
- Our pediatric anesthesiologists work alongside surgeons and are best qualified to evaluate complex medical problems and plan a safe anesthetic for each child.
- At Le Bonheur, our equipment and facilities are specifically designed for children.
The pediatric anesthesiology team is part of the care team for patients from premature infants to adults with congenital abnormalities who undergo surgery at Le Bonheur. We are involved in a variety of cases including:
- Neonatal surgery
- Congenital abnormalities
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Pediatric cardiac surgery
- Pediatric orthopedic surgery
- Pediatric ENT surgery
- Pediatric urology surgery
- Major and minor trauma
- Diagnostic testing including MRI, CT, intraoperative MRI
- Cardiac catheterization
- Dental procedures
Parent participation is important
We encourage parents to be with their children while they are being put to sleep. Being by your child’s side will help reduce his or her stress and anxiety when receiving anesthesia for any procedure.
Beyond the operating room
- Pediatric anesthesiologists help sedate children for many different procedures outside of the operating room.
- If your child needs sedation to stay still during a diagnostic test like an MRI or CT scan, our team of board-certified pediatric anesthesiologists provides all levels of sedation and anesthesia.
- Our team also provides anesthesia services at Le Bonheur East Surgery Center, the only freestanding surgery center in Memphis specializing exclusively in kids.
If your child is scheduled for surgery at Le Bonheur, please consult the Surgical Visit Guide, which includes pre-operative screening and tours, preparing for surgery and recovery.
Additional resources: Preparing for Surgey: Kids' Checklist and Coloring Book from the American Society of Anesthesiologists.