The nephrology fellowship program at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital and UTHSC offers a comprehensive curriculum in all aspects of clinical pediatric nephrology, including hypertension, chronic kidney diseases, acute kidney injury, glomerulonephritis, tubular diseases, kidney transplant, diabetic nephropathy, congenita anomalies of kidney and urinary tract (CAKUT), hereditary kidney diseases, acute/chronic hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and continuous renal replacement therapy. Our inpatient service covers both Le Bonheur and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, which offers a unique experience in the onco-nephrology fields. The pediatric nephrology program at Le Bonheur continues to be nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
Our unique subspecialized clinics include the Tuberous Sclerosis Center of Excellence, newborn-renal clinic, sickle cell nephropathy clinic and hereditary kidney diseases clinic. Altogether the program constitutes a huge clinical exposure as well as focused clinical research opportunities for our fellows.
Our program offers many opportunities for research. Collaboration with the University of Memphis and St. Jude expands our fellows’ research pathways, and fellows regularly participate in national and international meetings.
- Basic and clinical research to understand the fundamental underpinnings of tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) renal disease
- Treatments to preserve renal function for vulnerable TSC population
- Neonatal nephrology
- Pathophysiology of sickle cell nephropathy
- How APOL1 risk alleles influence the development of this disease in patients with sickle cell anemia
- Application of engineering principles to nephrology with ongoing research in sensors
- Onco-nephrology research focusing on kidney involvement in patients with stem cell transplant and different types of cancers
- IgA nephropathy and Henoch-Schönlein purpura (HSP)
- Multiple ongoing QI projects focusing on early detection of AKI; improving utilizations of ABPM for kidney transplant and CKD patients
Program Staff: Nephrology