Le Bonheur job shadowing is limited to one-day shadows through the end of the year. Job shadowing applications that have already been approved will be honored as scheduled.
Any new requests will be for one day only. Applicants should complete this form. Our Volunteer Services team plans to reopen multi-day shadowing opportunities after the holidays.
The job shadow program at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital provides great opportunities for individuals to observe in the healthcare setting for the purpose of career exploration and inspiring future healthcare professionals.
Prospective employees in the interview process and clinical education opportunities or experiences (i.e. externships, contractual internships, elective programs, clinical rotations, etc.) are not included in this program.
Below are some guidelines to help you determine if a job shadowing experience is the right fit for you.
Need to Know Definitions
MLH - Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare
Shadower – An individual who is 18 years of age and not currently enrolled in/graduated from a medical program. Shadowers are considered campus visitors and are not able to work independently, participate in clinical activities or have any hands on contact with patients.
Supervisor – MLH associate taking responsibility for the shadower and ensuring compliance throughout the observation; including, but not limited to:
- Reviewing HIPAA and statement of confidentiality at beginning of first shift
- Coordinating their schedule with department leader
- Ensuring the shadower always has an escort (except for in spaces accessible to the public: lobby, bathroom, cafeteria, etc.)
- Ensuring the shadower does not participate in patient care activities or enter isolation rooms/areas
Leader – MLH manager level leader, or above, who provides direct oversight and management for staffing and shadowers in their specific area.
Hosting Department – MLH area, clinic, unit or department where the supervisor and leader primarily work.
Process for Application
Process for Application:
The shadower will identify a host supervisor within their area of interest.
- Observation opportunities are contingent on the parameters established by the hosting department.
- A limited number of shadowing opportunities may be offered to help limit the number of observers on campus at any given time.
Once a supervisor has been identified, the shadower will email the appropriate completed paperwork to their supervisor. The supervisor will obtain approval and signature from their leader, then scan and email the appropriate paperwork to Volunteer & Family Support (email@example.com) 2 weeks before the one-day observation. The Volunteer & Family Support office will send a clearance email after the completed One-Day Job Shadowing Form is received.
Download the Job Shadow Guidelines and Process,HIPAA Privacy Summary and application forms by clicking the buttons below.