The job shadow program at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital provides great opportunities for individuals to observe in the health care setting for the purpose of career exploration and inspiring future health care professionals.
Clinical education opportunities or experiences (i.e. externships, contractual internships, elective programs, clinical rotations, etc.) are not included in this program.
Below are some guidelines to help you determine if a job shadowing experience is right fit for you.
Need to Know Definitions
MLH - Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare
Shadower – An individual who is 18 years of age and not currently enrolled in/graduated from a medical program. Shadowers are considered campus visitors and are not able to work independently, participate in clinical activities or have any hands on contact with patients.
Supervisor – MLH associate taking responsibility for the shadower and ensuring compliance throughout the observation; including, but not limited to:
- Reviewing HIPAA and statement of confidentiality at beginning of first shift
- Coordinating their schedule with department leader
- Ensuring the shadower always has an escort (except for in spaces accessible to the public: lobby, bathroom, cafeteria, etc.)
- Ensuring the shadower does not participate in patient care activities or enter isolation rooms/areas
Leader – MLH manager level leader, or above, who provides direct oversight and management for staffing and shadowers in their specific area.
Hosting Department – MLH area, clinic, unit or department where the supervisor and leader primarily work.
Process for Application
The shadower will identify a host supervisor within their area of interest.
- Observation opportunities are contingent on the parameters established by the hosting department.
- A limited number of shadowing opportunities may be offered to help limit the number of observers on campus at any given time.
Once a supervisor has been identified, the shadower will email the completed Job Shadow Packet to their supervisor 4-6 weeks prior to observation. Required documents are:
- Job Shadow Schedule Form
- HIPAA and Statement of Confidentiality Form
- Medical Screening Documents
The supervisor will receive documentation and share with their leader to coordinate job shadow schedule in accordance with staffing. The supervisor will obtain approval and signature from their leader, then scanning and emailing completed Job Shadow Packet to Volunteer & Family Support (email@example.com) 3-4 weeks prior to first observation.
Volunteer & Family Support will process vaccination records for verification of documentation, with a clearance email being sent directly to the shadower, supervisor and leader. Please allow a minimum of 3 weeks for processing.
Download the Job Shadow Application Packet and HIPPA Privacy Summary by clicking the buttons below.