Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at Le Bonheur!
Please note: all volunteers in our regular volunteer program must be at least 18 years old. If you are under 18 but would like to do a one-time event at the hospital, check out our list of group opportunities under Volunteer Programs to see what may be available for you!
Before you begin the process to become a volunteer at Le Bonheur, ask yourself these questions to ensure you are able/ready to fulfill the commitment:
- Do I have time available and want to give back to the children and families at Le Bonheur?
- Have I carefully considered my schedule and know that I can commit to volunteering once a week (three hour shift) for at least six (6) months?
- Am I comfortable working with children who may be experiencing discomfort or pain?
- Will I treat my volunteer responsibilities with the same respect that I do work obligations, committing to serve on a regular day and time each week?
- Do I enjoy working in new situations or helping in a variety of ways based on the needs of the people around me?
- Am I comfortable making repeated trips to Le Bonheur to complete the volunteer orientation, interview, medical checks and training (this may total as many as seven trips to the hospital)?
- Do I understand the process to become a volunteer at Le Bonheur may take 4-8 weeks to complete?
If you answered "yes" to all of the questions above, please continue. If you answered "no" to any of the questions, it is possible that our organization may not meet your goals as a volunteer.
Now, please read the next grouping of statements:
- I hope that my volunteer work will lead to a job at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital.
- I want to use my volunteer position to improve my English-speaking skills.
- I hope to meet other people like me and expand my social network.
- I want to gain clinical experience (hopefully by shadowing or assisting a member of the hospital's medical staff).
- I am in between jobs and I am hoping to use my free time to be of service.
- I need to be busy all the time.
If any of the above statements apply to you, it is most likely that our organization will not meet your goals as a volunteer or the great needs of our patients and their families. We invite you to consider serving our patients and families in other equally valuable ways.
Other Volunteer Opportunities include:
- Collect and Donate Food to the Food Pantry
- Collect and Donate Toiletry Items for the Families
- Make a Monetary Gift
- Donate Blood
Download a list of our current food/toiletry item needs here. Contact Volunteer Services at (901) 287-5225 to schedule a delivery or pick up of toiletry items and/or food donations.
Check out a more complete listing of Le Bonheur volunteer programs.
Ready to Begin?
Please read through the 10 steps to volunteer at Le Bonheur below. The process typically takes 1-2 months to complete. For questions or concerns, please contact Volunteer Services at (901) 287-5225 or email email@example.com.
Reminder: volunteers in our regular volunteer program must be 18 years of age or older.
- Complete the online application
- Provide copies of immunization records
- Provide three letters of recommendation
- Attend hospital orientation (2-3 hours)
- Pass criminal background check - Volunteers must be able to provide a Social Security Number
- Complete TB skin test
- Participate in a placement interview
- Participate in a department/unit training
- Receive identification badge and parking pass
- Volunteer 3 hours per week for at least 6 months which is approximately 72 hours.
Volunteer 3 hours per week for at least 6 months which is approximately 72 hours.