The UTHSC pediatric cardiology fellowship training program is a medium-sized program with seven fellows. It is based at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital, the only subspecialty children's hospital within a 100-mile radius.
Le Bonheur's Heart Institute is ranked as a Top 10 program according to U.S. News & World Report. Highlights of the program include:
- Cardiothoracic surgical program one of only 12 programs to receive the highest possible three-star rating form The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS)
- Provides all pediatric cardiology services for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and Regional One Health
- Heart transplant program has established itself as a high-volume transplant center
- Outcomes in children with left ventricular (LV) noncompaction
- Mitral valve function in LV noncompaction
- Electrophysiological aspects of LV noncompaction
- Genetic and mechanistic basis of LV noncompaction
- Genetic and mechanistic basis of arrhythmogenic cardiomyopathies
- Electrophysiological aspects of arrhythmogenic cardiomyopathies: molecular basis
- Renal function monitoring in heart transplant patients: Is cystatin C a better biomarker than creatinine?
- The role of viral genome in the heart of transplant patients and rejection and coronary vasculopathy
- Discovery of common biomarkers in cardiac and skeletal myopathy
Program Staff: Cardiology
Dr. Wetzel is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics with a cardiology subspecialty and is a professor at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center. He specializes in electrophysiology, cardiac arrhythmias, radiofrequency ablation and cryoablation.
Associate Program Director
Dr. Yohannan is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics with a cardiology subspecialty and is an instructor at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center. He specializes in non-invasive cardiology, preventive cardiology, cardiomyopathies, cardiac failure and cardiac transplantation.
Assistant Program Director
Dr. Swaminathan is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics with a cardiology subspecialty. She is an assistant professor with the University of Tennessee Health Science Center.