State-of-the-art technology at the
Most common testing includes:
- Ultrasound: Conducted frequently for
patients, ultrasounds continually monitor the baby’s growth and development. Our ultrasound team is accredited in obstetrics by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. Fetal Center
- Chorionic Villus Sampling (CVS): Performed between weeks 10-13, CVS tests for chromosomal abnormalities and genetic disorders through placental biopsy. Women generally have this test if there is a high risk of genetic disorders or chromosomal abnormalities.
- Amniocentesis: This test is usually performed between 16-20 weeks gestation. Amniocentesis can determine if your baby has a genetic disorder, neural tube defects (like spina bifida) or any chromosomal abnormalities.
- Fetal echocardiogram (echo): Performed by Fetal Cardiology Clinic team, part of Le Bonheur’s Heart Institute. Fetal echocardiogram is a part of comprehensive Fetal Cardiology Consultation provided by the fetal cardiology team. Fetal echocardiograms examine the baby’s heart as early as the first trimester. Please refer to the Fetal Cardiology webpage or call 901-287-7159 to learn more about fetal echocardiogram.
- Fetal MRI: After ultrasounds and testing are completed and doctors determine the baby needs a closer look, a fetal MRI is often suggested. Fetal MRIs provide detailed images of fetal anatomy.