Every detail of Le Bonheur was created around the needs of children and their families. From the art on the walls to specialized technology, we’re prepared to care for the special needs of children.
Designed for Kids
- We treat kids in a way that helps them heal faster, from small needles to flavored anesthesia. Our care is also designed around the emotional needs of children. Little details like red wagons, playrooms and Child Life specialists on each unit help kids cope with hospitalization.
- More than half of the beds in our hospital are devoted to infants and children who need the highest levels of care. Our staff and facilities in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit (CVICU) and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) are specially equipped to care for children with complex needs.
- Our pediatric Emergency Department treats more than 80,000 kids each year. We’re the only pediatric Level 1 American College of Surgeons trauma center in the region.
- Our pharmacies are located in critical care areas of the hospital, allowing pharmacists to provide a high level of oversight and quick, safe access to medication for patients.
Designed for Families
- Research shows kids get better faster when they are surrounded by loved ones. That’s why every patient room is private and has sleeping space for two family members.
- Family rooms, play rooms, a special play room just for siblings, laundry facilities, a resource library and a mini-movie theatre that are available to families.
- We have an accredited school program that provides year-round school services for children who may miss days, even weeks of school.
- We believe art has the power to heal and reassure. The whimsical and playful artwork throughout our hospital helps families discover peace and joy during difficult times. Children can also select art to hang in their rooms, using our traveling art cart.
- The FedExFamilyHouse is the first facility in Memphis to provide housing for families of patients receiving extended care at Le Bonheur. The house has community kitchens, dining rooms, living rooms and patios.
- Le Bonheur is designed to be energy efficient and socially responsible. Le Bonheur is the fifth LEED-certified children’s hospital in the U.S.
Technology and Equipment
- We have all the technology under one roof that will help us diagnose and treat your child.
- Each year, more than 1 million doses of medications are distributed by the Le Bonheur pharmacy, and we have technology that makes medication distribution safer and more efficient. Our system tracks prescribed medication, preventing medication error. Only 30 percent of hospitals nationwide use this type of technology in their pharmacies.
- We’re one of a handful of children’s hospitals using technology like MRI, functional MRI, intraoperative MRI (iMRI) and magnetoencephalography (MEG) in both neuroscience clinical care and academic research.
- For orthopedic patients, Le Bonheur is just one of a few hospitals with an EOS imaging system, which provides low-dose images in a standing position. O-arm imaging technology in the Operating Room provides multi-dimensional surgical images leading to less invasive procedures.
- Our cardiac MRI capabilities lessen the need for diagnostic catheterization and extra radiation by providing a three-dimensional image of the heart’s structure. This provides a quicker, more thorough diagnosis, and allows extra planning for cardiac surgery.
Beyond the Hospital
- Our on-campus Outpatient Center hosts 40 subspecialty clinics that treat more than 100,000 children each year.
- Our outpatient rehabilitation services include occupational, physical and speech therapy in a building with convenient parking near the hospital. Our rehab facilities include three gyms, 12 individual treatment rooms, parent observation rooms, an outdoor play ground and a kitchen to help parents carry over activities at home.
- Our subspecialist physicians have regional clinics in Jackson, Tenn., Covington, Tenn., Corinth, Miss., Tupelo, Miss., Jonesboro, Ark. West Memphis, Ark. Paragould, Ark. and Forrest City, Ark. for the convenience of families.
Through telemedicine, our our cardiac specialists help diagnose heart defects within hours of a baby’s birth.
- Mobile health units travel through West Tennessee to support local primary-care physicians by identifying under-reached health care needs.
- Urgent Care Centers located in Cordova, Memphis and Olive Branch help care for kids when their pediatrician’s office is closed.